Saturday, October 29, 2005

Oh! Calcutta

I turn left at the door and within three steps, the studio after all is in the smallest lane in Glasgow, I turn left into Goosedubs Lane.
Oh! What delights await me this sunny afternoon. But! I should have known, I could smell it before I saw it.

As the advert used to proclaim " Ah! Bisto!"

How come they never show this sort of detail on Architects Plans, we would all sleep better at night if we knew that we would be surrounded by the country fresh aroma of meadow hay!

But unperturbed I wade through Goosedubs, like an 18th century "Lazy Boy"

I look back and for a moment I think, "This is where east meets west!". The thought quickly dissolves as I contemplate the task and journey ahead.
Is it a good building? Is it a bad building? I have no opinion. Is it interesting, probably!

3 comments:

Kindurco said...

Having seen the building I am surprised that they did not make any provision for underground parking for residents and provision for internalstorage of their large bins. After all any other large block of flats I have seen has internal bins - not open ones out on the street for anyone to use.The residents on the lowest level, nearest the bins MUST be outraged surely. It is after all a health hazard - sure to attrach lots of small brown rodents, as well as all the scavanging birds to the area. Do Barrets have a website that you can post the photos to? Or better yet the Environmental Health Department of Glasgow Council!!

Anonymous said...

can I get some of the drugs your on lol

Denis said...

YES, its still a skungy, grotty place. It wasn't any better in 1832 when my greatest-grandma was arrested here at 12 years of age and sent to the workhouse for 18 months, before her ultimate conviction and transportation to a healthier clime in Van Diemen's Land.

Zacca,
Northern Australia