Friday, May 06, 2005

Oan ta ra Barras an` Bills

Ok! I know the title is a bit Francie & Josie, the Barrowland Ballroom is starting to loom large.
Out of Watson and left into Gallowgate.
I spy Shipka pass, I`ll say good by to it now in case I blink and its gone.
Head east along the Gallowgate, its a beautiful day, blue sky wispy clouds and sun.
In the distance there`s that crappy gable end mural, I never did figure out what it was about. But one way or another public money painted that!
To the right and before it on the corner of Gallowgate and Moir Street stand a taste of the new Barras.
It stands there proudly proclaiming I am the future, but on closer inspection it reminds me of John F. Kennedy`s famous "ich bein ein Berliner" speech.
If this building could speak it may well proclaim ” I am a muscle”
The Barras/Gallowgate are famous for them.
Its a pretty good looking building at a distance, but have a closer look, is it me or are building standards collapsing. This is a pretty building let down badly by a lack of attention to detail. Purple blue engineering brick mixed with green glazed brick around the back in Charlotte Street marred by numpty pseudo victorian wrought iron work. The white rendering that cloaks a large part of the building, is thankfully high enough out of the way of the dreaded tagger. But will it quickly absorb the patina of the climate mixed with what the city streets belt out, the pure juice of the traffic jam. ahhh!

1 comment:

Screen Doors Huntsville said...

Thanks great blogg